Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

And the Winner Is


Well it was a tough one, but the contest hat has spoken. The winner of the autographed copy of my Sourcebooks sister Anna Staniszewski's debut My Unfairy Tale life is J. Larkin!!! Please email me at joypreble at gmail dot com with your mailing address and Anna will send your prize!

But wait! The contest hat decided that Sophia Chang deserves a runner up prize because in her response she observed that the Beast should just remain a beast and not turn into a normal prince. Which the contest hat thought was pretty cool. Sophia -- I will be sending you a HAUNTED t shirt. So you'll also need to email me your mailing address.

Here's what J Larkin had to say about her favorite fairy tale character/myth:
Great interview! And I've been seeing a lot about this book; I'm excited to read it!


I'm such a huge fairy tale/mythology nerd it's hard to pin down a favorite. I'm going to go with Baron Samedi and his wife, Maman Brigitte, from Louisianan Voodoo.

They are the skeletal loas (or 'gods,' as we would know them) of death. They dress up in ritzy clothes, are foul-mouthed and act as tricksters, though they have a protective and supportive side, too. The design of Dr. Facilier in 'The Princess and the Frog' was inspired by Baron Samedi.

I've been really interested in the Louisianan Voodoo mythos lately; the history of how it formed over years and from several different religions is as fascinating as the mythological figures themselves.

So does that count? If not, then...werewolves and vampires. As they were before, say, 2005.


2 comments:

Anna Staniszewski said...

Hooray! Congrats to the winners!

Sophia Chang said...

haha that's awesome - and I thought I was just a weirdo