Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Debut novels, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Parenthood and Other Things on My Mind


1. Been reading the arc of debut author Katie Bayerl's PSALM FOR LOST GIRLS and I'm really excited about this one. Was the mc's older sister really hearing voices from God? And what of the other mysteries that are floating around? Just a little way in so I'll have more to say soon. Initial thoughts: Bayerl's got skills! And this one is different in that way you hope for. Put this on your TBR list for next year.

2. And speaking of things everyone should read: This piece by Ta-Nehisi Coates in The Atlantic. I cannot stop thinking about it and re-reading it. If you have not been reading Coates on racism in America, you need to start. Here's the link to this article. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/01/my-president-was-black/508793/

3. Can't wait to see La La Land and also Manchester by Sea.

4. Finishing the novel that's been my struggle for months now. I think I'll make that end of the year goal.

5. In season 4 of Parenthood, our months long on and off binge and oh this show!! It is such a fine ensemble piece and it has made me weep good tears many times.


Next time: I'll be talking about my new job at a local indie bookstore.

No comments: