Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Heart Albert Borris, Crash Into Me and a Very Good Cause

One of the most gratifying parts about this debut year has been the support and friendship of other debut authors - and some seasoned ones, too, such as the indomitable Cynthia Leitich Smith, who is such a constant champion of us all. Some days I don't know what I'd do without my 2k9ers. Most days, in fact.

But one of us needs your support. Albert Borris has written the incredibly gripping Crash into Me, which debuts in July from Simon Pulse. Albert and I are both repped by ABLA and for awhile shared an agent. He's advised me numerous times when I've been waffling about what I should do about this or that. (I'm a huge waffler, if you haven't guessed by now) He's funny and wry and sharp and knows what it's like to walk that dark side and he writes about that so very poignantly in this debut YA. He also, unfortunately, suffered a massive stroke in December and although he has bounced back in many ways, his speech has been severely affected. His family is raising money for the treatment "camp" in Chicago this summer so that Albert can be fully and completely back into our lives.

I'd tell you the entire story and where and how you can donate to this cause, but my friend Janet Fox (Faithful, Puffin, 2010) has just posted quite eloquently, so I will defer to her and ask that you please click on the link below and read more. And that you help Albert however you can.

http://kidswriterjfox.blogspot.com/2009/05/about-albert-borris-and-his-debut-novel.html

Til next time...

No comments: