Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Five for Friday

Happy 9/12/14 y'all!

A quick five:

1. Started reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, which has been on the TBR list for a very long time. It is a compelling read with a fascinating narration, but I do have to say that beginning this book while revising and trimming a sample chapter of a new project of my own, left me with some deep thoughts about adult novels vs YA novels and back story. I am fairly although not totally positive that the vast amount of backstory just leading up to the MCs conception would not fly in a YA novel simply because the entire matter could be covered with a sentence or two about gender. Now I might find I'm wrong about this and all that context about basal temps and Greek families and a brother named Chapter Eleven (which is still currently confusing me) and aunts predicting sexes with an egg will be of great significance later on. But my initial opinion stands. I'm feeling interested but I'm finding myself skimming. Thoughts?

2. In the 'in love' phase with a new project. Let's see if it sticks. And for any other writers reading this, I will say that I am definitely in synch with this post by brilliant editor and publishing friend Emma Dryden, which talks about loving and lusting after a new story. As well as this post that she passed on about it talking five drafts to get to the meat of the story, which I definitely relate to. I am certainly a wanderer when it comes to drafting and start out quite often in a very different place than I end up in later drafts. The core story remains, but the details? Holy cow, they end up different. This new project is case in point, although that's all I'll say for now.

3. Still loving the Jamie/Claire love story in #Outlander. And the STARZ series is still making me happy. Not just a guilty pleasure, but a well done one where the actors clearly care about making it all work. So hooray!

4. Oh how I want to show you the cover for FINDING PARIS. But I can't yet. But next month for sure, which will be six months out. For now I can leave you with this: What if your sister disappeared one night leaving only a cryptic note behind? What if you had to find her? And what if there was a boy who offered to help? What would you do? It begins in Vegas, by the way. Just so you know.

5. And did I mention that the dog sprained some soft tissue in her knee and we ended up at the emergency vet clinic on a Saturday nite and were told she had torn her ACL and would need surgery (which turned out not to be true) just after I had bought the pair of boots of my dreams? Yes. But the grand news is, that rest and inactivity was all that was needed. And she is healthy and fine now and not limping and crying and looking at me with sad eyes. So hooray!!

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Kim H. said...

I'm almost done reading Middlesex - skimmed most of it - still don't understand why the brother's name is Chapter Eleven - not my favorite book but at least nobody turned into a chair.