Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

happy 4th of July - almost

I'm a sucker for 4th of July. Fireworks, hot dogs, watermelon, corn on the cob, parades... It's all good. And the celebration of freedom - a very good thing indeed. Wish the world had more of it. And understood what a precious and difficult thing it is to keep.

I was going to natter on about favorite 4th of July memories, but you know, not so interesting unless you're me.

So let's talk that 4th of July staple, instead - hot dogs.

If you grew up in Chicago like I did, you learn to love a good Chicago style dog. Tis a unique and delicious creation. Vienna beef dog, poppy seed bun, yellow mustard, celery salt, sport peppers, tomatoes, pickle slice... and shamrock green relish.

Some places that I think do it the best are listed below. They all have websites, so knock yourself out if you have nothing better to do today and look them up. They're all - obviously - in Chicago. (So sorry New Yorkers and fans of LA's Pinks. Write your own blogs about your own favorites)

1. Superdawg
2. Fluky's
3. Wolfy's
4. Herm's Place
5. Portillo's

At Superdawg - okay, I'm begging you to find their website, which I should link for you, but I'm in a hurry right now - they have these two gigantic hot dog people standing on top of the place.

Any one else have a favorite?
Til next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've gone full on Kosher at home. So we are having Rubashkins tonight. While in NYC last week boys tried cart hot dogs in the park and now like Sauerkraut! (GAG!!!) So dogs and kraut it is.
Problem is it is hard to tell which hot dog buns have dairy in them! So I continue the search....
I am determined to start a blog about my plants and love forthem over the week.
Adriel got home fine, thank G-d!