Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Philosophical Friday

It's been that kind of week - the kind where you think too much... or maybe that's just me. Been writing 2-4 thousand words a day to make my deadline so I think it just gets the brain cooking and mulling.
Here's one for you: I write about choices a lot because in real life I agonize over them. If I was a total believer in zodiac stuff, I'd tell you that its 'cause I'm a Libra and we Libras like that scale in balance. We tend to overthink and freeze. If I do this... but if I do that... Some call it being contemplative. Others say it's waffling.

Here's a choice I agonized over that I'm glad, glad that I made: I am writing full time this year and picking up part time gigs here and there where I can to make ends meet. It's scary, but it feels absolutely right. My creative energies are in the right place. Frequently I run into former colleagues. Too often they (generalizing here to protect people's right to privacy) tell me some form of "I'd quit/retire but hey it's a paycheck. So you, um, write all day? Like that's all you do?"

So yeah, I guess it was time.

Watched The Vampire Diaires season opener last night. Oh Damon. You are sooo good inside. Really, you are. And (spoiler coming) that scene where Stefan calls Elana. And we just see the look on his face. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Dontcha just love it?

Am very excited to tell you more about Again and Again soon. How anxious I am to let you find out how the Anne/Ethan romance turns out.
And very excited to tell you about The Sweet Dead Life. A different book. A Texas setting. And some guardian angel shenanigans.

Soon my little pretties. Very soon.
Have a great weekend all!
And if you're a choice waffler, comment here and tell me all about it. We choice wafflers need company.

And in the Mac vs PC debate.... Mac has won. Now it's Pro vs. Air. I'm thinking Pro.
Husband is soo a PC guy. It's like I'm bringing a cat into a dog house or something. He will have to get. over. it. dear boy.

5 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Funny, when I pass my colleagues in the hallway at school, they say, "I can't believe you haven't quit this place to write full time. Why haven't you?"

And I answer, "Um ... the paycheck?"

Obviously, they have an incorrect impression of what writers make and/or they've forgotten I have two daughters who need to go to college.

I admire your choice, Joy, and I admit I'm a little envious. I hope you have a wonderful year and I can't wait to hear how it all works out for you. I'm considering a sabbatical in the future, but I'm a little scared. Looking to you as a role model ... :D

S.A. Larsenッ said...

OMGosh, I missed the Vampire Diaries opener last night!! Gack! I hope I DVR'd it. lol

I think it's great that you've taken the time to write full-time. Yes, it can be a risky decision. But in time, all hard work and sacrifice pays off. When I decided to write seriously three years ago, my hubby and I discussed whether I should go back to work outside the home with our four children now in school. His advice: "if you truly want this, this is the time to make it happen. So take the classes you need to and write. It will all work out." Each day I get closer. :)

Joy Preble said...

Oh Shari - you must see it! If you didn't dvr,the CW puts the eps on line after a few days. (at least they did last season.)

And Dianne -- it really has been interesting (here in mid September, barely starting into what would have been a school year.)I think former teacher colleague reactions fit some specific categories, some logical, some surprising. Some are just surprised that after all these years of trying to do it all that I'm not going stir crazy just focusing on one thing. Others sound more, um, angry. Sort of the why are you doing that and I'm not.I have to admit that one of my surprises is to have some distance and realize that a lot of people in public education, while still working hard for the kids, are quite unhappy and negative about so much. I do think it goes with the job sometimes; you fight and fight for even the simplest of needs and feel like you're beating your head against a wall. So when you see someone not doing that, it makes you a little crazy. Others simply have no idea what it takes to write for publication and keep deadlines. And of course my writer friends (except for the rarified few) understand the financial hit of what my husband likes to call the Great Middle Age Poverty Experiment. So I'll let you know how it goes. Right now I'm thrilled with the trade off. But honestly if we were still paying college tuition, it wouldn't even have been on the table. Onward!

jenn said...

i have a pro. i love it. :]

cwexy said...

Mac rules! Your husband will be hanging over your shoulder wishing his PC could do that! (and with dual core processors, he can have all his PC/windows aps . . . he will come around!)