The best stuff included:
- husband deciding at 4AM yesterday that he had time/energy to accompany me so that it became a mini-vacation
- NOT getting a ticket, but only a warning, about 6AM from the Burton, TX patrolman who pulled us over for doing 74 in a 70. ("It's 65 at night" said he. It's morning thought the two of us. "What y'all doing out at night?" he asked. Still morning, thought the two of us.... and on like that. But it was only a warning. And maybe he was lonely. Burton, we noticed on the way home has a pop of 359... In any case, thanks Burton PD, for letting us go unscathed)
- Meeting Cynthia Leitich Smith and husband Greg Leitich Smith, Texas authors extraordinaire and gracious and friendly human beings.
- Meeting Jo Whittemore, fellow ABLAer who is also repped by my intrepid agent Michelle Andelman, who let me mine her brain about things like school visits.
- all the wonderful presentations.... agent Erin Murphy, Little Brown editor Alvina Ling, Candlewick editor Deborah Wayshack (who edited Cynthia Leitich Smith's fantastic YA Tantalize), IU professor Peter Jacobi and others, including Austin chapter published authors in various "success panels."
- beers and burgers at Texas Chili Parlor in the evening and the wonderful weirdness of all things Austin (6th street, Congress Ave bridge bats, music, music, music...)
- the UT Club conference location because where else can you see a photo essay on a day in the life of Bevo? Seriously, where else? Nowhere!
- gospel music brunch at Threadgills this morning. Three words: sweet potato pancakes!!
I came away energized and inspired, which is always what I hope for. Ready to get back at it and keep working to put the truth of what I see into my story telling. Ready to keep honing my craft. And excited to spend a day with folks who are as geekily excited about books and words as I am.
Til next time...