Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Of Candy Hearts and Other Things


When you teach, Valentine's Day is always a high emotion day. Love it or hate it, it can't be avoided. High schools are like this life microcosm: those who get flowers and candy and stuffed bears walk hip to hip with those who get nothing. Some give. Some avoid. Even the self-proclaimed celebrators of "Singles Awareness Day" find themselves with just a teensy bit of longing for someone to say "I Love you." Hopefully someone other than their mom.

But still I do miss this: In creative writing each year, I brought in huge bags of those chalky candy hearts. Everyone would scoop a healthy handful. "Make a poem," I'd tell them. Use as many of your heart phrases as you can. An activity that even the cynics could enjoy.

So today I dare you. Spill out those candy hearts and write something.
Too Cool
I want you
to
Text Me
Baby
Tell me that you
Luv me
Hug me
Even if I sense that you
Might not
Be True

Feel free to let me know what you came up with!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a really fun idea. I also like to take the inspirations on the Dove chocolate or the fortunes in a fortune cookie and write about them