Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2007

I'm trying to like her... really I am

Okay, so here's the thing. I'm trying and trying to like Bella Swan. Really I am. But I'm falling short. If you don't recognize and immediately salivate over the name then you haven't read Stephenie Meyer's wildly popular Twilight trilogy. I've just finished the third book, Eclipse, which took me much longer than it would have in the summer, but hey, I'm a-writin' the books and a-teachin' the classes, and trying to shove some life in between...

But back to Bella. She's thoughtless to Jacob far too often and realizes it but doesn't change. She doesn't spend enough quality time thinking about how her changing into a vamp will affect her father and mother. Okay, yeah, they're not perfect people, but STILL!!! And honestly, I'm not sure if she even appreciates Edward. (okay, yeah, I admit it - I'm a Jacob fan over Edward. I know I'm in the minority on that one. But I seem to have a tender spot for the guy. Go figure.)

I know there are hordes and hordes who disagree. Which actually is quite cool because I love when a book generates conversation and strong opinion. Means that Stephenie Meyer has done a fantastic job at creating a fictional world that feels real to people. So hats off to you, Stephenie. Our YA librarian told me today that hundreds of people are on the waiting list for Eclipse at the public library. Amazing... and fantastic for the YA community and books in general.

Anyway, it's on to Scott Westerfeld's Peeps and also the new Before I Die. Not exactly a matched set, but I take what I get my hands on.

Til next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i do not see why you do not like her!
i thought it was impossible!
lol
and it's insane how you choose Jacob over Edward.
but hey, it's your opinion.
and yes she has done an excellent job!

-Nicole