Anyway, in no particular order, here are Joy's reasons why you should visit Portland if you've never been:
- Self-service gas stations are against the law. Someone comes out and fills your tank. Can you imagine??
- You are surrounded by mountains. Mt. Hood. Mt. St. Helens. (okay, it could erupt, but whatever). You can ski and snowboard on Mt. Hood in July.
- You can go hiking at Multanomah Falls near the Columbia Gorge. It is amazingly beautiful.
- In 90 minutes you can drive to the coast. Check out Haystack Rock. But go while the tide is low.
- Powell's Books!
- Coffee People coffee!
- Farmer's Market and the Pearl District
- Great light rail
- Trilogy Videos - a video store that mostly stocks indie films!
- Tons of shops and restaurants and Oregon wines and beers. Like a mini Napa with more social consciousness.
- The Portland Rose Garden. Acres of roses since 1912. All for the public to enjoy.
- Pittock Mansion and grounds. Great view of everything. (okay, mostly the mountains kept hiding) But they'd peek out now and again.
- And did I say coffee? The entire city enabled my already raving caffeine habit.
- No sales tax.
- Portland airport had a pianist, wine tasting, and a I bought a tall coffee plus a bottle of water all for $3.50. In the airport!
So, if you are the outdoorsy/coffee/organic type, Portland is for you. I would go back tomorrow.
Til next time...